Budget Development and Analysis
Paula Ryan, Proposal Submissions Coordinator
Secondary Contact: Lacy Olivera, email@example.com
Paula Ryan should be consulted early on in reseach project development to assist with:
- budget preparation on all grants submitted through ISBER
- coordinating proposal budgeting and sub-contracts among multiple investigators, departments and institutions
- ISBER Proposal Preparation Deadline: In order for ISBER staff to work on proposal submissions and comply with the Office of Research pre-review timeline, we require a minimum notification (via email to firstname.lastname@example.org) of intent to submit a proposal at least 4 weeks in advance of the agency deadline. Upon receipt, one of our proposal specialists will contact you for further information and to discuss a timeline. All extramural proposals are submitted on behalf of the UC Regents, and therefore all proposals are subject to review and approval by the Office of Research before they can be submitted to the agency. The review and institutional endorsement of a proposal requires time and should not be left to the last minute.
- Document preparation: ISBER staff will assist in the preparation of budget documents (forms and spreadsheets), cover pages, and all required certifications.
- Photocopying: ISBER will provide all necessary copies of the proposal (for the funding agency, subcontractors, investigators and other units on campus).
- Submission: ISBER staff will submit proposals, either electronically (e.g., NSF's FastLane system and grants.gov) or by designated carrier, in time to reach the funding agency on time.
- Human subjects: On projects involving human subjects, no funds may be drawn on the award until a protocol for meeting human subjects’ needs have been approved by the campus Human Subjects Committee.
- To access the HS compliance website click here: http://www.research.ucsb.edu/compliance/human-subjects
- Once your grant is awarded, ISBER will administer your funds, provide monthly statements of award balances and expenditures, process personnel, purchasing, and travel paperwork.