2018 Call for Proposals
Deadline: Friday, April 13, 2018
The UCSB Institute for Social, Behavioral, & Economic Research, in conjunction with the College of L & S Deans, the Bren School Dean, and the Executive Vice Chancellor announces the 2018 Call for Proposals for the Social Science Research Grants Program (SSRGP). The purpose of this program is to foster and enrich innovative research in the social sciences at UCSB by means of a competitive program of awards to faculty. Research using any of the methodological or theoretical paradigms within the social and humanistic social sciences is welcome. All eligible faculty members are encouraged to apply.
Ladder faculty members of all ranks are eligible to submit proposals provided the research focuses on a social science topic. Previous recipients of awards from the ISBER Grants Programs are allowed to apply, provided they have expended all funds and submitted an annual report for prior project(s), the requested funding is for a new project, and if funded in the 2017 round they have submitted a proposal for extramural support and/or a manuscript for publication. Graduate students are not eligible to apply.
The program will fund research projects at all stages of development, as long as there will be an identifiable outcome or product from the funded activity. We particularly encourage the submission of proposals for projects likely to lead to extramural funding and therefore, in the early stages of development. Faculty who have never received funding under the SSRGP and pretenure faculty are especially encouraged to apply. However, all proposals for social science research projects will be considered. A list of all previously funded projects is available on the ISBER website.
Budgets and allowable expenses
The maximum allowable request under this program is $8,000. The program will permit the following types of funding when adequately justified:
- Travel: for the purpose of research, collaboration, or meeting with program directors at potential funding agencies
- Student research assistance: UCSB graduate or undergraduate students only; no GSHIP and fees; no postdocs
- Research expenses, supplies, & services
- Publication costs (e.g., purchase of maps, prints, etc.)
Items that will not be funded:
- Faculty salaries
- Equipment costing more than $500
- Conference travel
- Replacement funding to permit release from teaching.
Timeline for proposed work and award administration
All projects funded in this cycle will have a start date of July 1, 2018 and an end date of June 30, 2019. Upon written request and adequate justification, a 6 month extension will be granted. Extensions beyond 6 months are unlikely, given the seed funding nature of the grants. All project funds will be directly administered by ISBER.
Evaluation and review
The competitive review of eligible proposals will be undertaken by an interdisciplinary committee of social science faculty. Proposals will be reviewed for their quality, significance, clarity, feasibility, and potential for future extramural funding. Funding decisions will be provided by mid-June, 2018.
Completed proposals should include the following:
- Project abstract (250 words)
- A list of other funding received for the proposed project
- A list of any previous ISBER award(s) and the academic outcomes or products resulting from the awards
- Proposal narrative, including: research question(s), theoretical framework and significance, research methods, and plan (4 pp. single spaced maximum, 11 pt. type)
- References cited (no page limit)
- Budget & Budget Justification (contact ISBER’s SSRGP proposal coordinator Shawn Barcelona, for assistance)
- C.V. (abbreviated 2-page maximum)
Submission of Proposals
Proposals for the SSRGP must be submitted electronically by 5 p.m. on Friday, April 13, 2018 electronically at:
Without exception, late proposals will not be considered for funding in this cycle.